Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ugh. The holidays....

Well, this is the first time being single around the holidays. 
One of the first questions friends and family ask after you're divorced is, "How are you guys going to deal with the holidays?"  ummmm...I'm not sure.

Like all families we have traditions.  Do you keep those?  Or just revise them?  In my case, we keep...for now.  I know many divorced friends who split the holidays, 'you get the kids Thanksgiving, I get them Christmas Eve,  you get Christmas day  I get them Easter you get them 4th of July...ugh, the holidays....' Before long your children become objects that are passed around without any thought to what they want.

Of course they want their parents back together.  But that's not an option for many.  So now what?
Every situation is different. Whether you get along with your ex-inlaws, or not, really sets the tone for just how well the holiday's will go.  

I was recently told that I should write a book on how to divorce the "right:" way...as if there is a "right" way to divorce.  But I knew exactly what this person meant.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy, it wasn't painless...but it was amicable.

Still a Family

You may not agree with me on this one, however, I tell my children everyday that even though we are divorced, we are still a family, albeit, a little disjointed.  But it works.  They are comforted by this and I truly believe because I reiterate it often, they are at peace.

Just you wait.

Now that you are thinking, 'omg, Susan has got to take off those rose colored glasses' I will renew your faith in me...that I'm not totally naive.   Everyone (Mom mostly) says, 'sure, things are going great now..but just you wait!'  Just wait for what???  Oh yeah...that.  The day that one of us meets someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment